Today I’m going to show you how to make a Halloween bat costume for kid. This is one costume I made for my own child in the past. It’s so easy to make that it would have been foolish not to share.
I know that Halloween is in 10 months but it’s never too early to start thinking about those costumes to be worn during the scariest holiday of the year. In addition, although Halloween costumes these can be worn for Mardi Gras or any other costumed party in the year.
This costume is so simple to make that it won’t take long for me to write about or for you to learn how to make it. So let’s start.
Make a Halloween bat costume at home
Easy to make bat costume instructions
This is a Carnaval costume I made at home for my child years ago. Actually, it is some kind of last minute costume that I had to produce since I completely forgot about buying one for the party that was held at the primary school.
Materials needed for a homemade bat costume
- A black hooded sweater
- Black trousers
- A well worn adult black t-shirt or a piece of black fabric
- 1 sheet construction paper
- Needles, black thread
- White chalk (or white soap) OR pattern paper and a black marker
- Black face paint
- Draw the bat wings on pattern paper or if you’re skilled, free hand trace bat wings on the well worn t-shirt or piece of fabric using the white chalck.
- Cut them out.
- You’ll also need to draw and cut out 4 triangles out of the piece of fabric or t-shirt. I’d recommend 5 inch sided triangles.
- Cut 2 x 4.5″ triangles out of the sheet of construction paper.
Now the sewing part of that Halloween bat costume for kid:
- Secure the indented part of the wing with a 0.5″ hem.
- Sew half of the straight part of the wing under the sleeve and the other half on the body of the sweater.
- Let’s make the bat ears now: take two triangles, place them face to face and sew two sides together. Then flip them, insert one triangle cut from the construction paper into them and sew the last side in a way that is not too visible.
- Once both ears are done, sew each of them to on one side of the sweater hood.
Using face paint, draw a mask around the eyes of your child. You can use a black Venetian colombina mask instead if you prefer.
That’s it, you have have created a cute Halloween bat costume for kid in no time.